WIC program to continue through October after government shutdown
The shutdown is affecting lots of programs. It could have a huge baring on the future of the Women, Infants, and Children - or "WIC" program.
The Department of Health announced the Alabama WIC program will continue to issue benefits through October. Before, participants could apply for three months at a time, but now, past October it's a waiting game. That uncertainty is causing concern for families who depend on the extra help.
"If we didn't have WIC - we struggle now, but we would really would struggle," Haley Allred, a WIC participant said.
Haley Allred says the benefits of the WIC program, help take care of her son, Bryden.
"It helps out so much," she said. "The formula alone - I get 7-8 cans. All of that total, is $150."
In just Jefferson County alone, 15,000 families need that help.
"The effects of what we tell individuals as a nutritionist, they take that along in life," Tashema Batch, a Jefferson Co. Health Department Nutritionist said.
"We provide individual counseling so if there is someone who has a nutrition risk, we provide counseling," Batch said.
We searched for a list of participating stores, but the government shutdown - shut down the web site.
Haley says it's a big relief that WIC is extended through October.
"It's comforting to know that my son will have at least one more month with it," Allred said.
...but past this month...
"I honestly don't know," Allred said. "I have a support system that would help me out, but I don't want to have to depend on them when my son depends on me."
Derek Medina and Jennifer Alfonso. via Facebook A MAN killed his wife then posted a photo of her body on Facebook and confessed to the murder. Derek ...
- Michelle Obama tells U.S. Open she is set on her girls playing tennis as it promotes hard work and practice
- Derek Medina: Florida man posts picture of his dead wife Jennifer Alfonso on Facebook
- Dunfermline teenager, Daniel Perry, 17, kills himself after blackmailers trick him on Skype
- Michigan father who repeatedly raped his three-year-old daughter while his wife held the child's hand pleads guilty
- Father of Sparkman Student Calls for More Awareness, Help for Mental Illness
- 'Dead' patient Colleen Burns wakes amid organ donation
- Sue Eberle: Florida police officers involved in sex scandal
- Named: The journalist who is suing Liam Gallagher for $3m after allegedly having his love child
- Details On ‘Sparkman High Streaker’ Incident Protected by Juvenile Crime Laws
- Has flesh-eating drug krokodil claimed its first victims in the US?
- Pamela Held, 27, to sue NYPD for invasion of privacy after police officer 'stole nude photos from her iPhone'
- Star Spangled Streaker! President's Cup livened up by almost-nude gatecrasher as America romps home to victory...and she managed to escape arrest
- David Herman: Retired radio personality arrested after soliciting sex with a 7-year-old from undercover cop online
- 'We were left on our own': Brave passenger who survived Asiana Flight 214 tells his terrifying story as he shares new pictures of the aftermath
- Baseball Wives star Anna Benson was 'once implicated in murder' in Tennessee
- Rebecca Ann Sedwick suicide: Parents of 'cyberbullying' teen claim Facebook was hacked
- Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker accused of beating lawyer to death releases YouTube song to fans from jail as they raise $4,000 for his legal fund
- Zetas drug lord Miguel Angel Trevino Morales captured in northern Mexico
- Bulgarian Sasha Ruseva believed to be Maria's mother wants her back from Greece
- Judge Orders $1 Million Returned to Exotic Dancer
- Redneck Heaven naked body-paint waitresses force Texas town to change nudity laws
- EXCLUSIVE: The family George Zimmerman rescued from horrific car wreck on Florida highway last week - less than a mile from where he shot Trayvon Martin dead
- Why do the highest-earning male models earn just a fraction of what their female counterparts get?
- BREAKING: Decatur Schools Being Dismissed – Suspicious Device Found Near Daikin Plant
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Deli Meat on a Dirty Box
- Birmingham civil rights leaders react to Nelson Mandela's death
- Man killed in head-on collision in Jefferson County
- Police Respond to Robbery at Sparkman City Gear
- Shoals Area Police Are Still Looking for Man In Disguise
- Tuscaloosa police arrest suspect in Alberta home invasion, burglary
- Thursday's home invasion, burglary reminds Tuscaloosa community of February killing
- Mayor Bell calls Mandela the 'George Washington' of South Africa
- Gas Station Owner Offers Reward For Suspect Who Robbed His Store
- Some Downtown Holiday Inn Workers Still Looking For New Jobs