Shiver me timbers! Heartless scallywags plunder man's PIRATE SHIP tree house built for his granddaughter
By Snejana Farberov
PUBLISHED: 11:07 EST, 10 August 2013 | UPDATED: 11:16 EST, 10 August 2013
An Arizona man has built a unique pirate ship playhouse for his granddaughter, only to have some scallywags plunder his precious corsair booty.
According to Yavapai County sheriff's deputies, the unidentified landlubbers commandeered the wooden tallship built into the hill behind cap'n Mike Shepherd’s Prescott home and made away with an arsenal of swords and daggers, jewellery and a collection of doubloons back in May.
Shepherd explained that about 15 years ago, he gathered some long planks and began working on a tree house for his daughter, which somehow morphed into an authentic looking pirate ship.
Shiver me timbers! Mike Shepherd built this pirate ship playhouse for his granddaughter 15 years ago and filled it with treasures, which were plundered in May
Looted booty: The scallywags responsible for the brazed theft got away with $5,000 worth of items, including a collections of swords and jewelry
The vessel, a true swashbucklers’ heaven modelled on an 18th-century tall ship, has been used by Shepherd’s family and local school children, who sometimes stop to gape at the authentic-looking treasures inside.
‘It is ironic that in modern day, someone looted our booty,’ Shepherd quipped to the local station MyFox Phoenix.
The ship builder, an avid traveller, has filled his creation with unique souvenirs from around the world, including a small wooden box from Spain filled with old European coins; an Uzbeki knife; replica Confederate silver dollars , and a turquoise and coral necklace valued at more than $400.
WNEM reported that in May, Shepherd called sheriff’s deputies to report that someone had broken into his locked vessel marooned in the 600 block of Hill Drive by taking the door off the hinges.
The buccaneers made away with booty worth $5,000. So far, no arrests have been made, and officials have been unable to identify any suspects.
Pirate treasure: Shepherd has filled his creation with unique souvenirs from around the world, including old weapons and bric-a-brac worthy of a corsair
Swag: Among the stolen items was a small wooden box from Spain filled with old European coins
No quarter: Shepherd joked that back in the old days, he would have delivered swift pirate justice to the scoundrel who plundered his ship
Seeking to teach the scallywags a lesson, Shepherd has since put up a sign on the ship that reads: ‘only fools steal from pirates.'
Speaking to reporters, Shepherd jokingly waxed nostalgic about bygone times, saying that back in the days, he would have made quick work of the bilge-sucking dogs by delivering swift pirate justice.
‘Back then we either put a cannon ball on their foot and send them down, or rope around their neck and send them up,’ he said with a laugh.
COMPLETE LIST OF PILLAGED PIRATE BOOTY:
Uzbekistan knife, possibly 12 inches long, dark rosewood-colored handle, bright chrome blade which is engraved 'Uzbekistan'
Pewter-finish knife with serrated edge, 2-foot long, with a full hand-guard
Small wooden box, from Spain, with bronze band and coin accents, very old and filled with old European coins
U.S. Marine sword, silver with engraved blade and black scabbard
U.S. Cavalry sword with silver scabbard and gold citation cord attached
1953 Japanese 1,000 yen paper bill
Antique homemade knife with penny embedded in handle, 6-8 inches long
Several replica Confederate silver war dollars
Rapier sword, silver with silver handle and silver tipped black scabbard, possibly 36 inches long
'Brotherhood of the Coast' Skull and Bones flag, black, torn away from an exterior table likely leaving ragged edges
15-strand Zuni-Hishi necklace, turquoise and coral, valued in excess of $400
Egyptian necklace, Pharaoh-type, purchased in Jerusalem 20 years ago
World War II Japanese machete from Philippines, ornate carved wooden handle with wooden carved scabbard, cross shape on scabbard
3 small gold coins
20 Susan B. Anthony dollars
A number of faux replica antique pistols that look pirate-like
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Derek Medina and Jennifer Alfonso. via Facebook A MAN killed his wife then posted a photo of her body on Facebook and confessed to the murder. Derek ...
- Michelle Obama tells U.S. Open she is set on her girls playing tennis as it promotes hard work and practice
- Derek Medina: Florida man posts picture of his dead wife Jennifer Alfonso on Facebook
- Dunfermline teenager, Daniel Perry, 17, kills himself after blackmailers trick him on Skype
- Michigan father who repeatedly raped his three-year-old daughter while his wife held the child's hand pleads guilty
- Father of Sparkman Student Calls for More Awareness, Help for Mental Illness
- 'Dead' patient Colleen Burns wakes amid organ donation
- Sue Eberle: Florida police officers involved in sex scandal
- Named: The journalist who is suing Liam Gallagher for $3m after allegedly having his love child
- Details On ‘Sparkman High Streaker’ Incident Protected by Juvenile Crime Laws
- Has flesh-eating drug krokodil claimed its first victims in the US?
- Pamela Held, 27, to sue NYPD for invasion of privacy after police officer 'stole nude photos from her iPhone'
- David Herman: Retired radio personality arrested after soliciting sex with a 7-year-old from undercover cop online
- Star Spangled Streaker! President's Cup livened up by almost-nude gatecrasher as America romps home to victory...and she managed to escape arrest
- 'We were left on our own': Brave passenger who survived Asiana Flight 214 tells his terrifying story as he shares new pictures of the aftermath
- Baseball Wives star Anna Benson was 'once implicated in murder' in Tennessee
- Rebecca Ann Sedwick suicide: Parents of 'cyberbullying' teen claim Facebook was hacked
- Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker accused of beating lawyer to death releases YouTube song to fans from jail as they raise $4,000 for his legal fund
- Zetas drug lord Miguel Angel Trevino Morales captured in northern Mexico
- Bulgarian Sasha Ruseva believed to be Maria's mother wants her back from Greece
- Judge Orders $1 Million Returned to Exotic Dancer
- Redneck Heaven naked body-paint waitresses force Texas town to change nudity laws
- EXCLUSIVE: The family George Zimmerman rescued from horrific car wreck on Florida highway last week - less than a mile from where he shot Trayvon Martin dead
- Why do the highest-earning male models earn just a fraction of what their female counterparts get?
- BREAKING: Decatur Schools Being Dismissed – Suspicious Device Found Near Daikin Plant
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Nelson Mandela 1918-2013: hailed as a champion of the power of sport
- South Africa mourns Mandela, the man who ended apartheid and gave them freedom
- Wounded Warriors charity has no record of donation from waitress who said she got anti-gay note
- Nelson Mandela dead: Prince William's tribute as he and Kate leave premiere of film about Mandela's life
- 'We have just been reminded what an extraordinary and inspiring man he was': William's tribute as he and Kate leave premiere of film about Mandela's life... that they viewed unaware he was already dead
- Nelson Mandela dead: World leaders react
- Nelson Mandela, death of the ballroom dancing ladies' man with a tempestuous love life
- Nelson Mandela death: How his family are at war over his £10m fortune
- Nelson Mandela dead at 95
- My friend, the dandy who hid his pain behind a smile: By Richard Stengel, who spent years at Mandela's side and co-wrote his memoir The Long Walk to Freedom